The most anticipated birthday celebration in Birmingham is just around the corner! When your city is home to a 56-ft tall iron statue of a burly, bearded, bare-bottomed man, you celebrate him in style. Vulcan, the world’s largest cast iron statue and one of the most memorable pieces of civic art in the United States, turns 111 this year, and we’re celebrating with his annual Birthday Bash on Sunday, June 7, from 12 – 4 p.m.!
Sing “Happy Birthday” alongside Mayor William Bell and other partiers during a fun-filled, family celebration held at Vulcan Park and Museum. Admission to the party is $5 (children 4 and under are free) and includes birthday refreshments as well as a wide variety of exciting activities for guests of all ages including:
- GameStop next-generation (Xbox One, PS4, 3DS and Wii U) game station
- “Kids’ Workshop” activity center from Home Depot
- Birmingham Children’s Theatre vignette of The Gingerbread Boy
- Red Mountain Park archaeology dig and prizes
- Ruffner Mountain Nature Center will offer a “create-a-snake” activity
- The Southern Museum of Flight will be in attendance with a plane exhibition featuring The Rutan VariEze and a large floor puzzle.
- Native Alabama animals from the Birmingham Zoo (12 – 2 pm)
- Coloring activity with Railroad Park
- Magic Town Clowns will be providing face painting and balloon art
- Community drum jams will be led by Get Rhythm!
- City of Birmingham Fire Department firetruck (12 – 2 pm)
- City of Mountain Brook vintage firetruck (2 – 4 pm)
- The American Red Cross will host a fun and educational preparedness relay
- Rock-climbing wall by Idlewild Adventures
- Latin American Soccer League activities
- “Home Run Derby” with the Alabama Sports Hall of Fame
- “birthday cake bounce house”
- Pull-up challenge with the U.S. Marine Corp and prizes
- Live music featuring George Griffin and the Firebirds
- Kids’ Yoga with Ivivva | LuLuLemon
- Characters from the Birmingham Barons including Babe Ruff
- Red Mountain Photo Booth
- Full Moon BBQ food truck
- Repicci’s Italian Ice food truck
Additionally, we will be unveiling all the personalized pavers that were purchased during our 2014 Brick Paver Campaign. Individuals, families and businesses purchased commemorative pavers as gifts or in honor of loved ones. These bricks will be displayed at the front entrance of Vulcan Park and Museum to celebrate the support that our community has given to maintaining Vulcan’s rich heritage.
We appreciate the sponsorship of Brik Realty for making the personalized paver campaign possible. We’d also like to give a big thanks to our other supporters: Buffalo Rock Pepsi, CityVision, GameStop, Home Depot, Birmingham Fun and Family Magazine, Birmingham Parent Magazine, Vulcan Materials, EBSCO, Inc., Birmingham Coca-Cola Bottling Company, Over The Mountain Journal, 98.3 FM La Jefa, Piggly Wiggly and Dreamland BBQ. The success of Vulcan Park and Museum is possible with the support of these generous organizations.